Looking for something quick, but also tasty? If you’re a fan of Chinese take-out, then this is for you. I love to make this dish when we are short on time or we are too tired to make a fancy meal. By we, I really mean me. Sarah relaxes at the kitchen bar with Presley on her lap after a long and hard day of work and decompresses while I cook. Although, sitting at the kitchen bar makes her my taste tester and depending on the day I’m having, that could be really good or really bad! (She’s still living, if that says anything.)
Well, this is definitely not your typical “Sweet n’ Sour” sauce you get with Chinese take-out. I actually enjoy this tangy sauce much better than the restaurants. If I’m making this meal for the two of us, I always have to double the sauce because the boss lady likes her chicken and cauliflower swimming in it.
You’ll find yourself making this sauce to compliment other meals as well. If I’m feeling a little frisky, I’ll add some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce (to taste.) No matter if I’m making the sauce for this recipe, or if I’m making this sauce to enjoy with some chicken or corn nuggets, over some grilled fruit, or my Grilled Apricot Caprese Salad, there is never any left over. (And I always catch someone licking the bowl and spoon clean.)
Friendly Reminder: Don’t forget to garnish the plate with green onions (scallions.) I feel like they really make a difference on the plate and on your taste buds.
Let me know if you have any questions! Enjoy!
Sweet n’ Sour Chicken and Cauliflower
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Servings: 4 servings | Difficulty: Easy
The Chicken & Cauliflower
3 cups Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, diced into 1 inch pieces
1 head Cauliflower, cut into florets
1/4 cup of Olive Oil
4 heaping Tbsps of Corn Starch
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Lite Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1 Tbsp Corn Starch plus 2 tbsp Water
Green Onion, sliced for garnishing
Rice of choice, cooked.
1. Preheat oven to 425°
2. In a zip lock bag add diced chicken and cauliflower.
3. Add the 1/4 cup of Olive Oil. Zip and shake to coat.
4. Add the 4 heaping tbsps of corn starch. Zip and shake to coat.
5. Spread mixture on a large, greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss mixture around and bake another 10 minutes.
6. In a medium sauce pan, over medium high heat, add the Sugars, Apple Cider Vinegar, Ketchup, Soy Sauce, Honey, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, and Salt. Whisk together. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
7. Combine Corn starch and water and add to sauce. Reduce to a simmer and whisk occasionally.
8. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cauliflower, and sauce.
9. Plate the rice and place chicken and cauliflower over the rice. Garnish with sliced green onion.
Thanks for the recipe, this is going on my to-do list asap!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I make sweet and sour chicken all of the time but never once thought to make it with cauliflower rice. That is a great idea!! I just posted a blog post with my own sweet and sour recipe and I think I will add the cauliflower rice this time!! 🙂
I love it with cauliflower! I leave the cauliflower in florets and coat it in the sauce. It is so good. Sorry for the delay in responding. I am still learning how to use WordPress and where to find comments, etc. Thanks for leaving one! 🙂